I’ve got a newfound love for zucchini. I picked up these yellow ones at the farmer’s market because they were too beautiful to ignore. The longer this dish marinates in the fridge the better it tastes. I used a mandolin to get the beautiful ribbons but you can just slice the zucchini into rounds if you don’t own one. This recipe is great for summer potlucks!
Marinated Zucchini Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes, 2 hours inactive
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into ribbons
- 3 medium yellow zucchini, sliced into ribbons
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Handful of fresh mint, chiffonade plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shaved Kefalotyri Cheese *see notes
In a large bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper. Gently toss with zucchini ribbons, green pepper, capers and mint. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight. Before serving top with shaved cheese and additional mint leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
* I found this type of Greek cheese at my local farmer’s market. You could substitute this for a number of different hard, salty cheeses such as ricotta salata, pecorino romano or feta.