This is salad number 3 in the summer salad series. This one is a play on a classic Italian appetizer of prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. Endive was a great pairing for this salad because it’s bitterness is contrasted fantastically with the sweet melon. If you can’t find champagne vinegar at your local grocery store feel free to substitute white wine vinegar.
Endive and Honeydew Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 2
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 4 medium Belgian endive
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced
- ½ a honeydew melon, cubed or scooped into bite sized balls
- 50 grams prosciutto, sliced
- Handful of fresh basil, cut into a chiffonade
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients “for the dressing” and set aside.
Carefully snap the endive leaves apart, wash and dry.
Place the endive leaves on a serving dish and arrange the melon, shallot, prosciutto and basil overtop. Drizzle with salad dressing and garnish with additional salt and pepper.