I'm a big fan of salads but only if the dressing is just right. I like my salad dressings to have a good kick to them otherwise it tastes like I’m eating a bowl of grass. You feel me? Take out the Parmesan cheese from the recipe to make it dairy free. This salad is great because it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days even if it’s been dressed! The only thing I would try to keep separate if you’re making this in advance is the apple since it will go brown once cut up and exposed to the air.
Brussels Sprout & Kale Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of bacon fat (optional)
For the Salad:
- 1lb shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1lb kale, stems removed, thinly sliced (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 sweet apple, thinly sliced (1 used a pink lady)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled *see notes
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan (remove if making df)
*Keep a splash of bacon fat once bacon is done cooking to put in the salad dressing for some extra flavour
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients “for the dressing” and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine kale and shaved Brussels sprouts. Pour dressing over top, and massage gently with your hands. Top with the remaining ingredients “for the salad” and enjoy! This will keep in the fridge for a couple of days (without the apple) if you’re not eating it right away.